Admission to PEPP General Track
Admission to the Program in Economic and Public Policy General Track
[Entrance Examination (Summer 2019) for October 2020 admission]
The University of Tsukuba plans to implement organizational restructuring of graduate schools and programs in AY 2020, and once admitted, you will belong to a new degree program.
The Program in Economic and Public Policy (PEPP) General Track at the University of Tsukuba is an eighteen-month English program. The academic year commences on October 1st. The program accepts students every year.
Name of Degree would be M.A. in International Public Policy (planned).
Application Period (for the academic year October 2020–March 2022):
July 1st, 2019 – August 16th, 2019 (JAPAN TIME)
* This page is for PEPP General Track. If you ARE eligible for PEPP WB/ADB Scholarship Track and want to apply for WB/ADB scholarship, please go to their admission page: http://pepp.hass.tsukuba.ac.jp/admission/
Application for PEPP General Track
TO APPLY, APPLICANTS MUST
- Hold a bachelor’s degree and have completed 16 years of school education (up to undergraduate level), or be expected to earn a bachelor’s degree and complete 16 years of school education by September 30, 2020. A strong background in economics and associated quantitative methods (linear algebra, calculus and statistics) are required.
Note. Those applicants having completed their university education in countries where formal schooling lasts less than 16 years, who are at least 22 years old, and who have spent at least one year in a research or similar institution, can become qualified to apply by filling out and submitting the provided form (Certificate of Research Activities).
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of the English language by submitting the TOEFL scores or other evidence as deemed appropriate by the Graduate School.
- Demonstrate verbal and quantitative skills by submitting the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores or other evidence as deemed appropriate by the Graduate School.
- NEITHER apply for JJ/WBGSP (Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program) nor
ADB-JSP (Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program) (Please note the eligibility criteria regarding both programs; we encourage you to apply for either of both if you are eligible.)
(UPDATE:August 8, 2019)
Before starting the process, please check again if you fulfill all eligibility requirements to apply to PEPP General Track and read the Application Instructions carefully.
Application Instructions: PDF
Before making your application, make a contact with our deputy director. For this please email your research plan and transcript to: naito [at] dpipe.tsukuba.ac.jp andpepp-cepgt [at] un.tsukuba.ac.jp (Please replace [at] with @.)) and gain his approval on your research plan.
With approval of our deputy director, please obtain the Application Form and the necessary documents from the link below.
Application Forms and other necessary documents
After obtaining the application form and the necessary documents, please send the application form and all necessary documents to pepp-cepgt [at] un.tsukuba.ac.jp (Please replace [at] with [@].) and the original hard copy of some of document to us by regular mail. Note that when you send those documents by email, you need to set the password to those documents for security protection.
The address for the regular mail is;
Program in Economic and Public Policy General Track
Master’s Program in International Area Studies
Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences
University of Tsukuba
1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8571, Japan
Screening and Admission Procedures
The screening process will be based upon the evaluation of all documentation and upon video interviews conducted by the University of Tsukuba representatives. Applicants who passed the first screening will be contacted for the arrangement of a video interview that is to be held in the end of August and beginning of September 2019. A letter of success will be dispatched in the end of September or early October 2019.
Selected candidates will be informed of enrollment information. To complete enrollment, you must pay admission fees in advance (see the Enrollment Guidebook for details). Selected candidates will be also informed of the orientation of the Program to be held towards the end of September 2020. For general information and your reference, you can see the Enrollment Guidebook for International Students (2019-2020).
Applicants who gained approval of our deputy director must pay 30,000 yen application fees. Application without the payment of application fees will not be considered. As exceptions, Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship candidates with a certificate of the primary selection issued by the Japanese embassy (Embassy Recommendation) and current Monbukagakusho Scholarship students are exempted from application fees. [Entrance Examination (Summer 2019) for October 2020 admission only]
Applicants can pay application fees using one of the following three methods.
[Individuals who reside INSIDE and OUTSIDE Japan]
Online Payment – Individuals can pay application fees online with a credit card through here. After completing the payment procedure, email a PDF or scanned copy of the payment webpage as a proof of completed payment of application fees. Please set password when emailing it. Online payment is also available for any individuals who reside in Japan.
[Individuals who reside INSIDE Japan]
Financial institutions – Japan Post Bank (Post Office), Regular Banks, Credit Associations, JA, and Other Financial Institutions. Obtain a money transfer form (haraikomi toriatsukaihyō) provided by our university (5-page form) by post as follows. Prepare a no.3 long size envelope. Write your postal code, address and name and put an 82 yen stamp on it for a return mail. Enclose it with a note of “request for money transfer form”, and send them to the following address:
Division of Graduate School Admission, Department of Educational Promotion
University of Tsukuba
1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8571, Japan
Alternatively, you can obtain a money transfer form in person by visitng our office at this address.
- (Japan Post Bank (Post Office)) Fill out the applicant’s name, address and telephone number by using a black or blue ball pen in the “payer” space (marked with ※) of each paper in the money transfer form. Please make sure that the form is filled out by the applicant (himself/herself) and write down Furigana for both alphabetic and Chinese characters. Also write down the name of the program you are applying for on the form.
- (Regular Banks, Credit Associations, JA, and Other Financial Institutions) If you are making the payment to the designated bank account of the University of Tsukuba, fill out the applicant’s name, address and telephone number by using a black or blue ball pen in the “payer” space (marked with ※) of each paper in the money transfer form. Please make sure that the form is filled out by the applicant (himself/herself) and write down Furigana for both alphabetic and Chinese characters. Also write down the name of the program you are applying for on the form. For the recipient field in each form, please write down the name of the bank (“MUFG BANK, Ltd.” or “Joyo Bank”; see the back of the money transfer form), branch office, and account number.
- Pay 30,000 yen with the form directly to the teller (no ATM transfer is accepted).
- When you receive the receipt (yūbin furikae furikomikin juryōsho) and the certificate of payment slip for the money transfer (yūbin furikae furikomi uketsuke shōmeisho), please make sure they are stamped with the transfer date.
- Email a PDF or scanned copy of the certificate of payment slip as a proof of payment of application fees. Please set password when emailing it.
- Also send the original certificate of payment slip by post along with other necessary documents.
- The applicant is responsible for any commission fees for the money transfer.