Admission to the Program in Economic and Public Policy (PEPP) ［General Track application］
Entrance Examination (Spring 2021) for October 2021 Admission
The Program in Economic and Public Policy (PEPP) at the University of Tsukuba is taught in English. The academic year commences on October 1st. New students are accepted on to the program every year via two separate application windows.
2nd Application Window (for the academic year October 2021-March 2023):
December 17th 2020 – February 5th 2021
* This page is for PEPP General Track admission. If you are eligible for the PEPP WB/ADB Scholarship Track and wish to apply for an WB/ADB scholarship, please go to the following admissions page: http://pepp.hass.tsukuba.ac.jp/admission/
Application Procedure: Program in Economic and Public Policy (PEPP) ［General Track application］
To Apply, Applicants Must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree and have completed 16 years of school education (up to undergraduate level), or be expected to earn a bachelor’s degree and complete 16 years of school education by September 30, 2021. A strong background in economics and associated quantitative methods (linear algebra, calculus and statistics) are required. Note: Applicants who have completed their university education in countries where formal schooling lasts less than 16 years, who are at least 22 years old, and who have spent at least one year in a research or similar institution, may also apply by filling out and submitting the provided form (Certificate of Research Activities).
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of the English language. submitting TOEFL scores or other evidence deemed appropriate by the Graduate School. A TOEFL score of iBT100, or PBT600, or higher is preferred for admission. If taking these exams proves unfeasible, equivalent proof of skills may be acceptable such as a certificate by a relevant institution, or certification by a current or former professor of the candidate. In this case, the Program will judge on the suitability of these materials and may request further documentation.
Before starting the process, please double check you fulfill all eligibility requirements for a PEPP General Track application, and read the Application Instructions below carefully.
Application instructions: PEPP General Track Application Instructions
Please note that all potential PEPP General Track applicants are required to make contact with our deputy director prior to making an application in order to obtain approval. To request approval to apply, please email your 1) research plan, 2) C.V., and 3) transcript to: naito [at] dpipe.tsukuba.ac.jp and pepp-cepgt [at] un.tsukuba.ac.jp (please replace [at] with @).
Following approval from our deputy director, you will be eligible to apply by following the instructions above.
Screening and Admission Procedures
The screening process will be based upon the evaluation of all documentation and upon video interviews conducted by University of Tsukuba representatives. Eligible applicants will be contacted in order to arrange a date and time for a video interview. Applicants will be informed of the results as soon as possible, with official offer letters to be sent to successful applicants by both E-mail and traditional postal mail.
Selected candidates will also be sent information on how to enroll. To complete enrollment, admission fees must be paid in advance (see the Enrollment Guidebook for details). Selected candidates will be informed of the orientation of the program to be held towards the end of September 2021. For general information and reference: Enrollment Guidebook for International Students (2019-2020).
Applicants must pay 30,000 yen application fees. Applications without payment of application fees will not be considered.
Applicants can pay application fees using one of the following three methods.
Online Payment – Individuals can pay application fees online using a credit card via the following link: application fee payment. After completing the payment procedure, please ensure you make a PDF or take a screenshot of the ‘payment complete’ page as proof of payment.
NOTE: Online payment is available for all applicants (including residents of Japan).
Other Payment options (only for residents of Japan)
Financial institutions – Japan Post Bank (Post Office), Regular Banks, Credit Associations, JA, and Other Financial Institutions. Obtain a money transfer form (haraikomi toriatsukaihyō) provided by our university (5-page form) by post as follows. Prepare a no.3 long size envelope. Write your postal code, address and name on it and attach an 84 yen stamp (this will enable the office to send the money transfer form to you as return post). Enclose it in the no.3 size envelope, together with a note stating: “request for money transfer form”, and send everything to the following address:
Division of Graduate School Admission, Department of Educational Promotion
University of Tsukuba
1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8571, Japan
- <Japan Post Bank (Post Office)> Fill out the applicant’s name, address and telephone number by using a black or blue ball pen in the “payer” space (marked with ※) of each paper in the money transfer form. Please make sure that the form is filled out by the applicant (himself/herself) and write down Furigana for both alphabetic and Chinese characters. Also write down the name of the program you are applying for on the form.
- <Regular Banks, Credit Associations, JA, and Other Financial Institutions> If you are making the payment to the designated bank account of the University of Tsukuba, fill out the applicant’s name, address and telephone number by using a black or blue ball pen in the “payer” space (marked with ※) of each paper in the money transfer form. Please make sure that the form is filled out by the applicant (himself/herself) and write down Furigana for both alphabetic and Chinese characters. Also write down the name of the program you are applying for on the form. For the recipient field in each form, please write down the name of the bank (“MUFG BANK, Ltd.” or “Joyo Bank”; see the back of the money transfer form), branch office, and account number.
- Pay 30,000 yen with the form directly to the teller (no ATM transfer is accepted).
- When you receive the receipt (yūbin furikae furikomikin juryōsho) and the certificate of payment slip for the money transfer (yūbin furikae furikomi uketsuke shōmeisho), please make sure they are stamped with the transfer date.
- Email a PDF or scanned copy of the certificate of payment slip as a proof of payment of appliation fees. Please set password when emailing it.
- Send the original certificate of payment slip by post along with other necessary documents.
- The applicant is responsible for any commission fees for the money transfer.
OAS (Online Application System)
*New inquiries regarding registration for this application window will not be accepted. Details of the next application window will be published later in the year on this page.